Our Sister City
Sassoferrato rises near the ruins of the ancient Umbrian-Roman city of Sentinum, of which you can still admire magnificent vestiges.
In 295 BC, it was the location of the famous "Battle of the Nations" which sanctioned the victory of the Romans against the Gallo-Samnites League. The city, set on fire by the forces of Octavian during the Triumviric war in 41 BC, was rebuilt by Caesar Augustus and many of his veterans who had received lands and took up residence there.
The city disappeared between the 8th and 10th centuries, abandoned by the inhabitants, due to hunger and plague, unable to defend it from enemy raids, especially the ferocious Hungarians. In about 1150, a count named Atto, from the Castle of Galla, near Genga, founded a castle, to which he gave the name of Sassoferrato. The castle soon became a town.
The City has historical connections to well known figures such as Octavian, Caesar Augustus, Napoleon and others. Sassoferrato has an interesting history of occupations, revolutions, destruction and restoration. Read more history at Sassoferrato's website.
List of thing to do and see in and around Sassoferrato
- Archaeological Museum and remains of the Roman town of Sentinum (Parco Archeologico di Sentinum ) http://www.sassoferratocultura.it/parco_archeologico_sentinum.htm
- Civic Art Museum (Civica Raccolta d'Arte) http://www.sassoferratocultura.it/musei_civica_raccolta_arte.htm
- Museum of the Gilded Bronze Horses of Pergola (12 miles)
- Frasassi Caves (8 miles)Tour one of Europes largest caves http://www.frasassi.com/Home.aspx?L=EN
- Monastery of Fonte Avellana (11 miles) (Monastero di Fonte Avellana) http://www.fonteavellana.it/
- Sassoferrato’s contemporary art museum (MAM’S Galleria Civica d’Arte Contemporanea “G.B. Salvi”) http://www.sassoferratocultura.it/musei-mams-galleria-civica-arte-contemporanea-salvi.html
- Museum of Culture and History of Sassoferrato (Museo delle Arti e Tradizioni Popolari) http://www.sassoferratocultura.it/musei_arti_tradizioni_popolari.htm
- Sassoferrato’s museum of ancient archaeological finds from Sentinum (Museo Civico Archeologico) http://www.sassoferratocultura.it/museo_civico_archeologico.htm
- Municipal Museum of the Sulfur Mine of Cabernardi (7miles) (Museo Comunale della Miniera di Zolfo di Cabernardi ) http://www.sassoferratocultura.it/musei_comunale_miniera_zolfo_cabernardi.htm
- Museum of Piano History and Sound –Fabriano (10 miles) (Museo del Pianoforte Storico e del Suono) http://www.accademiadeimusici.it/detail_list.php?menu=64
- Church of St Francis (Chiesa San Francesco)
- Church of St Mary of the Bridge (Chiesa di Santa Maria del Ponte del Piano)
- Abbey of the Holy Cross (Abbazia di Santa Croce)
- Church of St Peter (Chiesa di San Pietro)
- Abbey of St Vittore (Abbazia di San Vittore delle Chiuse)
- Fortress Albornoz (Rocca Albornoz) and a view overlooking the city (Belvedere Panoramico)
- Assisi (44 miles) (Unesco World Heritage Site) birthplace of St Francis, the Basilica of San Francesco
- Urbino (40 miles) (Unesco World Heritage Site) Historic Center of Urbino
- Loreto (40 miles) A hill town that has a Basilica with 13 chapels and a marble encasement enclosing the house of Mary, mother of Jesus.
- Fabriano (10 miles) The city known for developing the paper industry, has many museums.